The month of September came and went quickly. It’s been educational and informative spending the month in open discussion with you, our online friends, hearing about your curriculum choices.
We’ve learned some wonderful homeschooling tips, added a few new websites to our cache, and been inspired by what’s working for your families. It’s been a month of growth all around.
Before we officially sign off for the month, putting to rest our curriculum discussions, we wanted to take a few moments to share an additional resource used in our home: YouTube Kids!
The official YouTube Kids app is designed for curious little minds. This free app is delightfully simple and packed full of videos, channels and playlists that kids love. They’ve worked hard to make the videos available in the app family friendly, but, keep in mind, no algorithm is perfect. If you ever find a video you’re concerned about, just flag it. This helps make YouTube Kids better for everyone.
Here are a few channels our kids can’t stop raving about:
- Wonder Quest – Wonder Quest is a spinoff YouTube channel starring Stampy from the original YouTube channel, Stampylonghead, created by Joseph Garrett. Wonder Quest was launched by Joseph Garrett in collaboration with Maker Studios allowing for a professionally scripted and produced series that could be used in classrooms. The channel stars Stampy with his friend Wizard Keen and follows their adventures as they try to save Wonderberg from Heinous, the evil wizard. It features guest stars including: IBallisticSquid, Captainsparklez, EvanTubeHD, StacyPlays, and Dodger. (Our kids are learning so much from this fun channel. For those whose children adore Minecraft, this is just the thing!)
- Muffalo Potato – Learn How to Draw ANYTHING in minutes using only letters and numbers with Muffalo Potato! It’s fast easy-to-do art and silly fun for all ages. Watch John draw a letter or number in the air, then copy it on your paper. Just keep drawing and turning your paper with John and before you know it, KA-POW! You’re making cartoons!
- Crash Course – Tons of awesome courses in one awesome channel: Hank Green teaches you Anatomy & Physiology; Phil Plait teaches you Astronomy; Craig Benzine teaches you U.S. Government and Politics; Adriene Hill and Jacob Clifford teach you Economics.
- Minute Physics – Simply put: cool physics and other sweet science.
- Khan Academy – Our mission to provide a world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
Using videos found on YouTube Kids adds an additional element to our learning day. Our kids are able to see glass being hand-blown, hear the London Philharmonic in concert, and learn from the experts. If there’s something I can’t explain, there’s always a YouTube video to help us better understand the concept being taught.
With more and more videos being posted everyday, there’s a wealth of information to be explored. Plus, with YouTube Kids being family friendly, you don’t have to worry about inappropriate ads or unsafe videos.
Now, it’s your turn!! Share three of your favorite YouTube channels with us! It doesn’t have to be for the kids. Help us add new subscriptions to our watch list and share in the learning fun!