Each name unique and powerful; the list is endless. Join us on this exciting adventure through Scripture, where we will learn some amazing verses, talk about how those verses should affect our lives, and discuss some practical ways to make these names “real”.
“For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, ‘Abba! Father!'”
~ Romans 8:15
Having a father is something I never took for granted. My father was non-existent. At four years of age, my father walked out the door and never turned around. My mother did everything in her power to fill the gap, reminding me I had the best father of all… God.
During this Christmas season, I want to spend time with my children focusing on the important role their father plays in their lives. I want to cultivate an attitude of gratitude toward their Pop. I also want to point them toward the one, true Father; God.
Our Earthly Father – Sometimes we forget how much Pop does for us. Here are ways we can show our appreciation for our earthly fathers:
- List all the things Pop does for us, and reflect on his hard work.
- Make thank you cards, notes, for Pop; sharing how much he means to us and how much we appreciate his hard work.
- Make Pop a special meal (breakfast or dinner), and shower him with affection.
- Make Pop a crown, honoring him for being the head of the house and king of our little realm.
- Get Pop a little something to bless him (his favorite candy, coffee, and/snack).
“And He was saying, ‘Abba! Father! All things are possible for You…'”
~ Mark 14:36
Our Heavenly Father – Just as we can forget all our earthly father does for us, so too, we often forget all the ways in which our heavenly Father blesses us each and every day. Here are some ways we can focus on our Abba, thanking Him for all He does:
- List all the things the Lord does on our behalf (daily, weekly, and throughout our lives); reflecting on His constant, undeserving blessings and grace.
- Pray together, thanking the Lord for all He does for us.
- Discuss ways we can please our heavenly Father; talking about what the Lord desires of us and how He wants us to worship Him.
- Sing worship songs, honoring the Lord and showing appreciation for His gifts.
- Consider making small paper crowns and putting them on our tree – or in the homeschool room – to remind us of our Abba.
How comforting to know that while my earthly father had little interest, or desire, in being a part of my life, my heavenly Father loves me completely. He knows me inside and out, loves me no matter what, and has a purpose for my life. I am truly thankful for my Abba. I praise His name for providing my children with the best earthly father I could have ever asked for. My heart rejoices in seeing my children bask in the love of my husband.
“Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, ‘Abba! Father!'”
~ Galatians 4:6
May I ever be thankful for the gift of my children’s father. And, may we constantly point our children toward God; our Abba, Father. In Him, no child is fatherless.
Time to Chime In: Do we have any fathers in the crowd? Share with us how we, as your loving family, can better show our appreciation for all you do!