One of the biggest struggles homeschooling families battle is which curriculum is best for their children. We become overwhelmed by the amount of curriculum available, struggle to find the right fit for each of our children, proceed to doubt each choice made for at least the first several weeks, and continue to search for new ways of teaching well after we’ve already begun our year.
To this end, we thought we’d spend the month of September launching discussions on all things curriculum.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”
Music is incredible. It’s fun, entertaining, and memorable. That is, until you force your children to sit down at a set of drums or that baby grand filling the front room for a determined amount of time each day. There’s something about the forced practice of lessons that steals the joy of the melody.
Unfortunately, if your older children plan to gain credit for courses in music or you simply wish your children to progress at a certain pace, dedicated lesson time seems inevitable. What’s a homeschool parent to do?
We’d love to hear how you teach music, and have a few questions we’d like to pose:
- Do you have a portion of your day dedicated to music lessons?
- How much time are your children required to practice?
- Is there a particular curriculum you are working through?
- Do your children learn music by rote, ear, or reading?
- Do you force your children to take music, despite their objections, or are they free to dismiss lessons should they dislike the practice?
- Do you play an instrument yourself?
- Do you teach your children or do they have a private instructor?
Our children love music. Until we force them to sit at the piano for certain lengths of time each day. Right now, we’re trying to find a balance between only playing when they want to play and playing just because they have to practice. Prayerfully we’ll find middle ground. In the meantime, we’d love to hear more about your music lessons. How is the Lord leading in this area in your own homes and what has He been teaching through this incredible time of discovery?
Now, it’s your turn!! Share your thoughts on the above questions and let us hear from you. We’d love your feedback and appreciate those links you’ve been sharing!